Tissue salts were developed in the 19th century in Germany by Dr Wilhelm Schuessler, a chemist and physicist who realised deficiencies of these minerals was the underlying cause of ill health. He prepared his mineral salts according to homoeopathic principles, in minute doses and ground finely for easy absorption. With this method your body is able to absorb the salts by osmosis through the cellular wall, wherever in the body they are needed. Their therapeutic action is to stimulate the body’s natural ability to regulate its mineral intake via the food chain, gradually restoring a biochemical balance. In addition, because they combine the material properties of each mineral salt with the energetic properties of homoeopathic dilution and trituration, tissue salts stimulate balance and well-being on all levels, not just the physical.
There’s a tendency in our fast-paced, market driven culture for people to take large quantities of assorted vitamins and minerals in the mistaken belief that ‘more is better’. This ignores the essential requirement that all minerals are needed by the body in a balanced ratio. If your cell chemistry is deficient and you don’t have the capacity to absorb excessive levels of supplements, the bulk of them are excreted without giving you much benefit. The beauty of tissue salts is that they are highly bioavailable, so none is wasted. They are, in essence, the food of your cells.
Safe for Everyone
Another great advantage is that they are safe, with no adverse effects or possibility of overdosing, even if you take one that is not indicated for you. Tissue salts are usually formulated in a lactose base, however only people with extreme lactose intolerance are at risk of a reaction. Alternatively, they are also available in an alcohol base.
It’s best to work out which specific salts your body needs, because taking a random combination may mean they will cancel each other out in terms of action and symptom relief. However they will not do any harm, just possibly take longer to be effective. You can give them to your children with confidence, and take them while pregnant or breastfeeding. You can also safely take cell salts alongside any medication.
What are the 12 tissue Salts?
The original 12 tissue salts formulated by Schuessler, with their main physical actions, are:
- Iron Phosphate (Ferr Phos or IP): reduces swelling & pain, 1st stage inflammation
- Magnesium Phosphate (Mag Phos or MP): neuromuscular coordinator
- Potassium Phosphate (Kali Phos or PP): nerve nutrient
- Potassium Chloride (Kali Mur or PC): congestion remover, 2nd stage inflammation
- Potassium Sulphate (Kali Sulph or PS): cell oxygenator, 3rd stage inflammation
- Calcium Sulphate (Calc Sulph or CS): blood cleanser
- Calcium Phosphate (Calc. Phos or CP): cell builder
- Calcium Fluoride (Calc. Fluor or CP): connective tissue elasticity, strengthens blood vessels
- Silicea (Silica or S): calcium organiser, tissue strengthener
- Sodium Phosphate (Nat Phos or SP): metabolic acid remover
- Sodium Chloride (Nat Mur or SC): fluid balancer
- Sodium Sulphate (Nat Sulph or SS): detoxifier
If you suspect you are not absorbing dietary nutrients very well, or suffer from an increasing number of seemingly unrelated symptoms, your cells may be under-functioning because you are lacking the right balance of tissue salts.
This information was originally written by:
By Carolyn Simon ND,